- July 6: Bohemia is granted freedom of religion.
- August 28: Henry Hudson is the first European to see Delaware Bay.
- Samuel de Champlain claims the Lake Champlain area of Vermont for France.
- Galileo Galilei is the first to perform observational astronomy with a telescope.
- The first published rounds in English are published by Thomas Ravenscroft.
- Johannes Kepler publishes his first two laws of planetary motion.
- Claudio Monteverdi publishes his first opera, Orfeo.
- The Rheims bible is published in England.
- Bermuda is first settled, by English shipwreck victims en route to Virginia.