- U.S. Census - Herman Hollerith devises method using punch cards(like Jacquard's loom) to tabulate the data by machine, since existing methods would use more than ten years. (see also History of computing). Hollerith's company eventually becomes IBM.
- February 11 - John de Vries, fairy tale writer.
- August 20 - H. P. Lovecraft, horror writer.
- October 14 - Dwight Eisenhower, the 34th (1953-1961) president of the United States, US general in World War II.
- October 16 - Paul Strand, American photographer