- February 11 - Sutan Takdir Alishahbana, Indonesian linguistic/author/novelist.
- February 11 - Vivian Ernest Fuchs, geologist/explorer.
- February 11 - Josh White, musician
- May 20: Jimmy Stewart, American actor
- August 27 - Don Bradman, cricketer
- August 27 - Lyndon Johnson, 36th president of the United States
- Claude Levi-Strauss
- February 11 - Australia regain the Ashes with a 308 run cricket victory over England.
- The third Summer Olympic Games are held in London, England.
- September 23 - Baseball/History: the "Merkle incident"
- Physics - Gabriel Lippmann
- Chemistry - Ernest Rutherford
- Medicine - Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov, Paul Ehrlich
- Literature - Rudolf Christoph Eucken
- Peace - Klas Pontus Arnoldson Fredrik Bajer