- January 1 - Barry M. Goldwater, Arizona Senator
- February 11 - Joseph Mankiewicz.
- February 11 - Max Baer (The Livermore Larruper), American boxer/actor.
- April 30 - Queen Juliana of the Netherlands
- July 25: Louis Bleriot was the first man to fly across the English Channel in a heavier-than-air craft.
- Change of US presidency from Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) to William Howard Taft (1909-1913)
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Abd-ul-Hamid II (1876-1909) to Mehmed V (Resad) (1909-1918)
- Physics - Guglielmo Marconi, Carl Ferdinand Braun
- Chemistry - Wilhelm Ostwald
- Medicine - Emil Theodor Kocher
- Literature - Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf
- Peace - Auguste Marie Francois Beernaert Paul Henribenjamin Balluet D'estournelles De Constant, Baron De Constant De Rebecque