- February 11 - Roy Fuller English poet/novelist.
- February 11 - Rudolf Firkusny Napajedla, Czechoslovakian, pianist.
- July 14 - Woody Guthrie, folk musician.
- February 12 - Arizona admitted to the United States of America as the 48th state
- April 15 - Sinking of the S.S. Titanic.
- In Japanese History, end of the /Meiji period.
- In Japanese History, beginning of the /Taisho period.
- Physics - Nils Gustaf Dalén
- Chemistry - not awarded
- Medicine - Alexis Carrel
- Literature - Gerhart Johann Robert Hauptmann
- Peace - [[Elihu Root]