- February 11 - Lucio Diestro, composer.
- June 11 - Vince Lombardi, American football coach
- July 14 - Gerald Ford, American president.
- November 2 - Burt Lancaster, actor
- November 7 - Albert Camus, writer
- Vince Lombardi - American football coach
- The Seventeenth Amendment - the direct election of senators - becomes law
- de Sitter: speed of light is independent of speed of source
- Sagnac: speed of light depends on speed of rotating platform
- Change of US presidency from William Howard Taft (1909-1913) to Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)
- Physics - Heike Kamerlingh-Onnes
- Chemistry- Alfred Werner
- Medicine - Charles Robert Richet
- Literature - Rabindranath Tagore
- Peace - Henri La Fontaine