- February 11 - Bernice Levin Neugarten, social scientist/gerontologist.
- February 11 - Joseph Alioto, Mayor of San Francisco
- February 11 - Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
- February 11 - Baltimore Symphony Orchestra presents its 1st concert
- May 31 - June 1 - Battle of Jutland
- Summer Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany, are cancelled.
- July 1 - November 18 - Battle of the Somme
- Physics - not awarded
- Chemistry - not awarded
- Medicine - not awarded
- Literature - Carl Gustaf Verner von Heidenstam
- Peace - not awarded