- January 2 - Isaac Asimov, author
- February 11 - Billy Halop, actor.
- February 11 - [[Daniel Francis Galouye]?, American science fiction author.
- February 11 - Farouk I, last King of Egypt (1936-52?).
- February 11 - Paul Peter Piech, artist.
- May 18 - pope John Paul II
- September 10 - Fabio Taglioni, automotive engineer
- Summer Olympic Games in Antwerp Belgium
- March - Worlds first peaceful establishment of a social democratic government takes place in Sweden. Hjalmar Branting takes over when Nils Edén resigns.
- Physics - Charles Edouard Guillaume
- Chemistry - Walther Hermann Nernst
- Medicine - Schack August Steenberg Krogh
- Literature - Knut Pedersen Hamsun
- Peace - Léon Victor Auguste Bourgeois