- February 11 - Eva Gabor, Hungarian actress.
- February 11 - [Lloyd Bentsen]], American politician.
- May 2 - Satyajit Ray, Indian filmmaker.
- May 23 - James Blish, US science fiction author
- October 13 - Yves Montand, French singer and actor
- October 15 - Mario Puzo, author of The Godfather
- The Anglo-Irish Treaty established the Irish Free State See Ireland/History
- Change of US presidency from Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) to Warren G. Harding (1921-1923)
- Physics - Albert Einstein
- Chemistry - Frederick Soddy
- Medicine - not awarded
- Literature - Anatole France
- Peace - Karl Hjalmar Branting Christian Lous Lange