- February 11 - [[[Conrad Janis]], actor.
- February 11 - [Archibald Forster]], CEO (Esso UK).
- February 11 - Gerry Alexander, West Indies cricket player.
- February 11 - Raoul Cita, rocker.
- April 9 - Tom Lehrer, satirical songwriter
- July 26 - Stanley Kubrick, American film director
- August 6 - Andy Warhol, American artist
- October 1 - George Peppard, actor
- Frederick Griffith conducted the Griffith experiment indirectly proving existence of DNA.
- February 11 - [[2nd [Winter Olympics]] opens in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
- Summer Olympic Games in Amsterdam Netherlands
- Motorola founded.