- January 31 - Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
- February 11 - Boris Majorov, Soviet ice hockey player.
- February 11 - Yevgeniy Majorov, Soviet ice hockey player.
- February 11 - Bevan Congdon,New Zealand cricket player.
- February 11 - Willy Correa de Oliveira, composer.
- February 11 - Manuel Noriega, Panamanian general and dictator.
- April 29 - Larry Niven, author
- September 29 - Wim Kok, prime minister of The Netherlands (1994- )
- Superman first published in comic book form.
- Italy wins Football World Cup in France
- March - Anschluss, Austria incorporated into Germany.
- Physics - Enrico Fermi
- Chemistry - Richard Kuhn
- Medicine - Corneille Jean François Heymans
- Literature - Pearl S. Buck
- Peace - Nansen International Office For Refugees, Geneva.