- February 11 - Iain Cameron British brigadier
- January 19 - Janis Joplin, blues singer
- August 17 - Robert De Niro, US actor
- George Harrison, Beatle
- February 11 - General Eisenhower is selected to command the allied armies in Europe.
- September 3: Italy is invaded by the Allied forces during World War II
- Development of the Colossus computer by British to break German encryption (see History of computing).
- Physics - Otto Stern
- Chemistry - George de Hevesy
- Medicine - Henrik Carl Peter Dam, Edward Adelbert Doisy 1939 - Gerhard Domagk
- Literature - not awarded
- Peace - not awarded