- February 11 - Sue Bernard, Playboy magazine's playmate for December 1966
- October 9 - Jackson Browne, musician
- February 11 - John Costello follows Eamon De Valera as premier of Ireland.
- May 14 Israel established as an independent state.
- December 10, United Nations General Assembly adopts Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Summer Olympic Games in London, UK
- Porsche founded.
- Miranda, the innermost moon of Uranus, is discovered by Gerard Kuiper.
- Physics - Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett
- Chemistry - Arne Wilhelm Kaurin Tiselius
- Medicine - Paul Hermann Müller
- Literature - Thomas Stearns Eliot
- Peace - Not awarded.