- February 11 - Anthony Parker, American football player.
- February 11 - Patrick Kuhnen, West German tennis player.
- February 11 - Stephen Gregory, actor.
- August 14 - Halle Berry, actress
- March 10 - Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands marries Claus von Amsberg
- England wins Football World Cup on home ground (see 1966 World Cup Final)
- Physics - Alfred Kastler
- Chemistry - Robert S Mulliken
- Medicine - Peyton Rous, Charles Brenton Huggins
- Literature - Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Nelly Sachs
- Peace - Not Awarded.