- February 11 -- Eleanor Powell, tap dancer/wife of [Glenn Ford]?
- February 11 -- Takashi Shimura, Japanese actor
- June 8 -- Satchel Paige, baseball player
- March 5 -- John Belushi, actor
- March 6 -- Ayn Rand, author
- First computer virus, written by Rich Skrenta, escapes into the wild.
- Hafele and Keating prove Atomic clock changes depend on Earth's rotation (See Einstein's Special Relativity and General Relativity).
- Falklands War takes place from April 2nd to June 20th.
- Italy wins Football World Cup in Spain
- Physics - Kenneth G. Wilson
- Chemistry - Aaron Klug
- Medicine - Sune K Bergström, Bengt I Samuelsson, John R Vane
- Literature - Gabriel García Márquez
- Peace- Alva Myrdal and Alfonso García Robles
- Economics - George Stigler