Beginning of the International Decade to Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination (1993-2003)
- February 11 - George A Stephen, inventor .
- February 11 - Joy Garrett, actress.
- February 11 - Oksana Kostina, Russian gymnast.
- December 4 - Frank Zappa, American rock musician
- February 11 - Howard Stern's radio show begins transmitting to Rochester NY
- February 11 - Irina Privalova runs a world indoor record over 60 meters.
- February 11 - Janet Reno is selected by President Clinton as US Attorney General.
- May 24 - Eritrean independence.
- Bill Clinton succeeds George Bush as President of the United States of America.