International year of the Family
- February 11 - Antonio Martin, Spanish cyclist.
- February 11 - Sorrell Brooke, actor.
- February 11 - William Conrad, actor.
- May 8 - George Peppard, actor.
- September 11 - Jessica Tandy, actress.
- October 20 - Burt Lancaster, actor
- November 28 - Jeffrey Dahmer, serial killer
- The Estonia sinks, killing 852.
- Brazil wins Football World Cup in the United States
- A strike by baseball players results in the premature termination of the season and the cancellation of the Baseball/World Series, for the first time since 1904.
- Homosexual marriages legal in Sweden
- Physics - Bertram N. Brockhouse, Clifford G. Shull
- Chemistry - George A Olah
- Medicine - Alfred G Gilman, Martin Rodbell
- Literature - Kenzaburo Oe
- Peace- Yasser Arafat , Shimon Peres (Israel) and Yitzhak Rabin
- Economics - Reinhard Selten, John Nash Jr, John Harsanyi