- 1949: Newfoundland joins Canada
- 1976: Apple Computer Company formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.
- 2001: Former Yugoslavian president Slobodan Milosevic surrenders to police special forces, to be tried on charges of war crimes.
- 1732: Franz Joseph Haydn (composer)
- 1776: Sophie Germain (mathematician)
- 1815: Otto von Bismarck (politician)
- 1873: Sergei Rachmaninoff (composer, pianist)
- 1883: Lon Chaney (actor)
- 1920: Toshirô Mifune (actor)
Holidays and observances:
- April 1 is known as April Fools Day in many countries.
- Japan - Most of universities, schools and offices in Japan, [New Fiscal Year] and [New School Year] starts on April 1. In Tokyo cherry blossoms(Sakura) that one of National flowers in Japan(another one is chrysanthemum(Kiku - at best in November)) are at their best around this day. April Fools Day is not common in Japan yet because of The Day that New Fiscal Year starts in common ... and character of Japanese? :-)