- 1452: Leonardo da Vinci (artist)
- 1843: Henry James (author)
- 1894: Bessie Smith (singer)
- 1933: Elizabeth Montgomery (actress)
- 1950: Amy Wright (actress)
- 1951: Heloise (newspaper columnist)
- 1959: Emma Thompson (actress)
- 1966: Samantha Fox (singer)
- 1865: Abraham Lincoln dies from an assassination attempt made on April 14
- 1942: Robert Musil, Austrian novelist (The Man Without Qualities)
- 1912: The passenger liner S.S. Titanic sinks
- 1947: Jackie Robinson debuts for the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team, breaking that sport's color line in the U.S.
- April 15 or the following Monday (if it falls on the weekend) is the deadline for Americans to file their tax returns. It is a stressful day for most American people. Post offices across the United States stay open until midnight to accommodate the procrastinaters.