- 1915 Arthur Miller born in New York City.
- 1936 Honors at Dawn, his first play, is produced at the University of Michigan. He wins an Avery Hopwood Award.
- 1949 Produces and publishes Death of a Salesman. The play wins the Pulitzer Prize.
- 1953 He produces and publishes The Crucible.
- 1956 Miller appears before the House Un-American Activities Committee where he refuses to inform on others.
- 1958 Prosecuted and convicted for contempt of congress. Publishes Collect Plays.
- 1958 His conviction is overturned by a higher court.