- 1959: Hawaii becomes the 50th state of the United States of America.
- 1998: The United States destroys a pharmaceutical plant (erroneously believed to be a chemical weapons plant) in Sudan with cruise missiles in response to the August 7 embassy bombings, and tries to kill Osama bin Laden in a cruise missile attack on his camp in Afghanistan, during a meeting of "terrorist leaders". But the participants had dispersed by the time the missiles struck, and bin Laden was unharmed.
- 2001: The NATO decides to send a peace-keeping force to Macedonia.
- 2001: A sixth-century temple is discovered in central Mexico.
- 2001: The Red Cross announces that a famine is striking Tajikistan, and calls for international financial aid for Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- 1904: Count Basie (bandleader)
- 1928: Art Farmer (trumpet player)
- 1932: Melvin Van Peebles (actor, screenwriter)
- 1936: Wilt Chamberlain (Basketball Hall of Famer)
- 1938: Kenny Rogers (singer, actor)
- 1944: Peter Weir (director)