December 11 is the 345th day (346th on leap years) of the year. There are 20 days remaining.
- 1801 - Christian Dietrich Grabbe, German writer
- 1803 - Hector Berlioz, French composer
- 1843 - Heinrich Hermann Robert Koch (German bacteriologist)
- 1918 - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Russian author
- 1944 - Booker T. JonesMusician
- 1205 - In England, John Grey, Bishop of Norwich, was elected Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 1816 - Indiana becomes the 19th state.
- 1937 - Edward VIII's abdication as King of Great Britain became effective; he gave up the throne in order to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson
- 1937 - Italy leaves the League of Nations
- 1941 - Germany and Italy declare war on the United States.
- 1946 - The United Nations Childrens Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is established.
- 1972: Apollo 17 lands on the Moon
- 2001: DrinkOrDie raids