December 8 is the 342nd day (343rd on leap years) of the year. There are 23 days remaining.
- 1626: Christina, Queen of Sweden.
- 1765: Eli Whitney, inventor
- 1894: James Thurber, writer
- 1925: Sammy Davis Jr., entertainer, singer
- 1930: Maximilian Schell, Academy Award-winning actor
- 1936: David Carradine, actor
- 1943: Jim Morrison, singer for The Doors
- 1947: Greg Allman, musician
- 1953: Kim Basinger, actress
- 1966: Sinead O Connor, musician
- 1941: Congress passes a declaration of war on the Empire of Japan, bringing the United States of America officially into World War II.
- 1993: The North American Free Trade Agreement, known as NAFTA, is signed into law by president Bill Clinton.
Holidays and Feasts: