EDI stands for Electronic Data Interchange.
It is the exchange of data in a globaly standardised format and method. Despite being relatively unheralded in this over hyped world of "WWW" and internet. It is still probably the engine behind 95% of all electronic commerce transactions in the world.
The most widespread standards are EDIFACT and ANSI X12. These standard prescribe the formats, character sets and data elements used in the exchange of documents / forms such as purchase orders (called PORDER in EDIFACT and 850 in X12), invoices. It aslo includes the prescribed method of transfering these data between organisations ie using the store and forward method. The third component is the use of EDI Translation Software to interface between the internal system and the global standards.
- EDI Data structure - Transection sets, segment, elements, sub-element.
- EDI Translation software.
- the "store and forward" of data transmission.
- The differenced between X12 and EDIFACT.
- New-edi - a method developed by ?? of australia.
- xml/edi - oasis , rosetta net etc.
- EDI vs edi - "EDI" being the global international standard and all it entails. "edi" being the non standard and propriatry implementations used by individual organisations.
- History of EDI
- Politics of EDI