Electronics is the manipulation of electrical current or electromagnetic fields by the use of electrical current or electromagnetic fields. The purpose of the manipulation is to use the current as a signal, carrying information. Ordinarily either the voltage or ampage of the current is varied with some kind of input to create the signal. The field was formerly known as radio electronics and was a minor speciality within the field of electrical engineering, centered on the study of the vacuum tube.
Before radio, of course, electricity had been used to carry information over telephone and telegraph wires. But these systems are based on the conversion of mechanical energy into electricity and back again in a process not much different from the conversion of electrical energy to light or heat. Electronic devices are based on the intricate, small-scale processing of the electrical current/voltage itself, although they often do have visual or mechanical interfaces with the external world.
Any electronic gadget has three parts-
1) Sensors or Transducers - These take signals(in the form of temprature,pressure,etc.) from physical world and convert them into current/voltage signals.
2) Electronic Circuits - These are electronic components woven together to manipulate/interpret/transform the signals.
3) Actuators - These are devices that transform current/voltage signals into physical form, where they can have some real use.
1) Television -
(a)Sensor - Antenna
(b)Circuit - Inside the TV box.
All the complexities of a television system are designed to cause fluctuations in a magnetic field that deflects a stream of electrons, which in turn light up phosphorescent dots on the monitor screen which is the interface.
Various Components used in electronics are:
7. field effect transistor
8. bipolar transistor
9. hall effect device
10. vacuum tube
11. cathode ray tube
14. light emitting diode
16. integrated circuits or ICs
Analog Circuits Most analog electronic appliances, such as radio receivers, are constructed from arrays of a few types of circuits.
Also see Microprogramming
- Pentium family
- 68000 family
- PowerPC family - G4
- PA-RISC family
- DEC Alpha
- MIPS architecture
Other related fields of Electronics are:
Some Links to related sites-
- AMD : http://www.amd.com
- Analog Devices : http://www.analog.com
- Intel : http://www.intel.com/intel/product/index.htm
- National Semiconductor : http://www.national.com
- Fairchild Semiconductor : http://www.fairchildsemi.com
- ST Microelectronics : http://eu.st.com
- Motorola : http://search.motorola.com
- Samsung Semiconductor : http://www.intl.samsungsemi.com
Datasheet Search Engines
- Electronic DatabookShelf : http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~dburke/databookshelf.html
- Global Electronic Datasheet Locator : http://www.datasheetlocator.com/
- World of Electronics-Datasheet search : http://www.woe.onlinehome.de
Tutorials and Projects
Some other good sites
- IEEE : http://www.ieee.org
- IEEE spectrum : http://www.spectrum.ieee.org
- Electronix Express : http://www.elexp.com/links.htm
- Electronics Club : http://www.cc.iitk.ac.in/infocell/student/electronicsweb