Features of Wikipedia software (currently UseModWiki software; will be Wikipedia PHP script) that somebody would like to see, someday (but distinguish feature requests from Wikipedia bugs and be sure to place your request appropriately):
- /Top priorities: really important features we still don't have
- /Report features and automation
- /Interface and user preferences
- /Wiki shortcuts: new shortcuts, code tricks
- /Naming conventions (this is all done, but not yet implemented on Wikipedia)
- /Cookies, logins, and privacy
- /Other feature requests
- /Completed feature requests
- /Really ambitious and fanciful feature requests
- Wikipedia approval mechanism
Don't know where to put this request:
- Disable old-style linking. It's annoying when I want to write something with a slash in it (e.g. Sozialdemokratische Partei der Schweiz/Parti Socialiste Suisse) and the bit after the slash gets treated as a link. -- Simon J Kissane
And updating the tarballs would be very nice.
What powers Wikipedia-L? Would wikipedia be interested in purchasing (ouch! not the 'p' word!) the ability to use my lyris mailing list server? My server can handle lists in excess of 250, 000 members. Since, I'm so in love with the concept of Wikipedia, i'd be willing to administer a 10, 000 member or less list, for free, so long as once the list gets larger than 10, 000 subscribers, monthly payments would need to be made. Lemmie know...
No, we wouldn't. We're very happy with our own (free) mailing list server. --LMS
This could fit under more than one of the catergories: When you do a "Random Page" search, a lot of /Talk pages randomly show up. These aren't what I'm looking for when I do a Random Page - I could get to any /Talk page from its article, and by themselves, /Talk pages aren't very useful :). I would like a way to take /Talk pages out of the search (without removing all subpages). --Dreamyshade
Dreamyshade -- done! I also pseudo-optimized the algorithm so it should run a lot faster now. --Jimbo Wales
yay! thanks so much!
ok, I just tried it, and I got Domino effect/talk :) It's probably just a unique problem...but funny that it was the first thing to pop up! --dreamyshade
There shouldn't be any /talk pages in the first place. --Taw
there are a few redirected ones (as in above)