- Born: December 12, 1915, Hoboken, New Jersey
- Died: May 14, 1998, (place)
- Gravesite: Desert Memorial Park in Cathedral City, Palm Springs, California
Frank Sinatra is, with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles, one of the top five American popular musicians of the 20th century.
Son of a quiet father and a talented, tempestuous mother, Sinatra rose to fame as a singer with Tommy Dorsey's band; later recorded as a solo artist.
His voice is instantly recognizable, and in its prime could evoke not only great strength and charisma, but nostalgia and tenderness as well. Sinatra had good taste in songs, and excellent taste in arrangers.
Probably ought to say something about The Rat Pack here, too.
- New York, New York
- Day and Night
- This lady is a tramp
- Come rain or come shine
- (a long list here)
- Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music
- From Here to Eternity (Academy Award, best supporting actor)
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Ocean's Eleven
- Pal Joey
- Around the World in Eighty Days (uncredited cameo as piano player)
- Von Ryan's Express
- (many more)