Henryk Sienkiewicz (1846-1916), Polish novelist. One of the most outstanding Polish writers of the 19th century. He was immensely popular and loved at his times and after over a century he is still highly valued among readers of prose. He is best known for his colourful historical novels depicting heroic deeds of Polish fighters.
Nobel Prize in literature laureate in 1905.
The most important works :
- Trylogia (Trilogy)
- Ogniem i mieczem (With Fire and Sword) 1884
- Potop (The Deluge) 1886
- Pan Wolodyjowski (Mr. Wolodyjowski) 1888
- Krzyzacy (The Teutonic Knights) 1900
- Quo vadis 1895
- W pustyni i w puszczy (In Desert and Wilderness) 1912
- Rodzina Polanieckich (The Polaniecki Family) 1894
- Bez dogmatu (Without Dogma) 1891