Humor is a form of entertainment that is intended to make someone laugh and have a good time.
There are different types of humor which appeal to different sectors of humanity - for instance, Slapstick Humor is particularly popular with young children, while satire tends to be more popular with the older and better-educated.
Humor usually is localized and does not easily transfer from one culture to another. This happens because a large amount of humor is very context sensitive and someone whom does not understand the context will usually not understand the humor.
Various techniques are used to deliver humor
- Silly acts inappropriate for the situation or age of person
- fake stern manner that is inappropriate in a comic setting
- ridiculous gestures and movements
- deliberate ambiguity and confusion with reality (such as in Andy Kaufman's humor)
- play of words such as oxymorons, puns etc.
- unexpected outcome, such as a witty punchline.
- wittiness, as in many one-liner.
- self inflicted ambarassing situation, e.g. losing the swim trunk after a dive etc.
- self-degradation (such as in Rodney Dagerfield's humor)
- faking stupidity
- pointing out real stupidity (such as the Darwin Awards)
- stereotyping (such as blonde, lawyer, polish jokes etc.)
- inflicting pain (such as kick in the groin or in the movie "Home Alone", etc)
there are many more, I just don't remember all the names