British author, 1775-1817.
Jane Austen stands as a model of the writer whose sheltered life did nothing to reduce her fiction. Her novels are conventional in form and in their middle-class assumptions about the needs and desires of young British men and women in 1800. But they are keenly drawn, sharp with insight and possessed of a remarkable and durable charm.
Her novels are:
- Sense and Sensibility, published 1811
- Pride and Prejudice, published 1813
- Mansfield Park, published 1814
- Emma, published 1815
- Persuasion, published 1817
- Northanger Abbey, published 1817