- 1938 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the March of Dimes to help raise funds for the fight against polio.
- 1959 - Alaska is admitted to the United States as the 49th state.
- 1987 - Aretha Franklin becomes the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- 1793 - Lucretia Mott (women's rights activist and abolitionist)
- 1879 - Grace Coolidge (First Lady)
- 1892 - J. R. R. Tolkien (author)
- 1911 - John Sturges (director)
- 1926 - George Martin ("5th Beatle": producer of The Beatles' records, later inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)
- 1930 - Robert Loggia (actor)
- 1932 - Dabney Coleman (actor)
- 1945 - Stephen Stills (singer, songwriter, guitarist)
- 1946 - John Paul Jones (bassist)
- 1956 - Mel Gibson (actor, director)
- 1969 - Michael Schumacher (Formula One driver)
Holidays and observances: