- 1740 -- Marquis de Sade (heavily censored author: The 120 Days of Sodom, Justine)
- 1840 -- Thomas Hardy (poet, novelist: Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Far From the Madding Crowd, The Return of the Native)
- 1857 -- Edward Elgar (english composer)
- 1955 -- Dana Carvey (actor, comedian)
- 1941 - Lou Gehrig, New York Yankees baseball player, from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ("Lou Gehrig's Disease").
- 1925 - Wally Pipp, first baseman of the New York Yankees, asks for a day off due to a headache. He is replaced in the lineup by Lou Gehrig, who also starts the next 2,128 games.