- Founded: 1960 (charter AFL member; joined NFL in 1970 league merger)
- Formerly known as: Dallas Texans, 1960-63, then moved to Kansas City.
- Home stadium:Arrowhead Stadium
- Uniform colors: Red and Gold
- Helmet design: Red helmet with white arrowhead bearing initials K.C.
- League championships won: AFL 1962, 1966, 1969.
- Super Bowl appearances: I (lost), IV (won)
They are owned by Lamar Hunt, who founded the team along with their original league, the American Football League, in 1960. Hunt also owns the Kansas City Wizards, a professional soccer team that also plays in Arrowhead Stadium. See also Super Bowl, the name of which was coined by Lamar Hunt.
The Dallas Texans, as they were known then, defeated the Houston Oilers in a dramatic 1962 AFL championship which went into double overtime.
As the Chiefs, under coach Hank Stram, the team played in the first Super Bowl, losing 35-10 to Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers. They earned revenge three years later, upsetting the Minnesota Vikings 23-7.
Players of note
- Football Hall of Famers: Len Dawson
- Current stars:
- Retired numbers: #16 (Dawson)
- Not to be forgotten: