- 1897 - Guglielmo Marconi founded the Wireless Telegraph and Signal Company
- 1900 - Renamed to Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company
- 1946 - Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company taken over by the English Electric
- 1968 - English Electric merges with the General Electric Company (GEC, not to be confused with GE)
- 1999 - After a period of re-structuring GEC renames itself Marconi Plc
There are lots of companies that have Marconi in their name. This is mainly due to various diversication and consolidation over the history of the group. For example several defence partnerships bearing the name Marconi are no longer associated with Marconi PLC following GEC's sell of of its defence interests and merging of its communications groups to form Marconi Communications before the groups evolution to Marconi PLC.
See the company's own website, http://www.marconi.com/