Multics/Talk

< Multics

HomePage | Recent changes | View source | Discuss this page | Page history | Log in |

Printable version | Disclaimers | Privacy policy

As an amusing aside, in the late sixties I was convinced that it was feasible to write a portable OS in a high level language (PL/I being the best candidate at the time). It was (and still is) my estimate that (except for device drivers, whose plethora makes up the bulk of Linux) some 60% of an OS could be written in a HL language, the other 40% requiring Assembly. For example, the code to do scheduling is architecture independent, the code to implement scheduling decisions (start/resume) a process is architecture dependant.

Until the mid eighties, when Unix became well known as a viable, portable, OS, nobody I knew agreed with me. It was for this reason that for many years I did private contracting/development under the name "Blue Sky Enterprises". See blue sky project. --Buz Cory