October 14 is the 287th day of the year (288th in Leap years). There are 78 days remaining.
- 1947 - American test pilot, Captain Chuck Yeager flies a Bell X-1 faster than the speed of sound, the first man to do so in level flight.
- 1890 - Dwight Eisenhower, president of the United States (1953-1961)
- 1894 - e. e. cummings, American poet
- 1906 - Hannah Arendt, German/American intellectual
- 1939 - Ralph Lauren, American fashion designer
- 1940 - Cliff Richards, English rock singer
- 1958 - Thomas Dolby, English rock musician
- 1959 - Errol Flynn, American actor
- 1977 - Bing Crosby, American singer and actor
- 1990 - Leonard Bernstein, American composer and conductor