October 16 is the 289th day of the year (290th in Leap years). There are 76 days remaining.
- 1663 - Eugene of Savoy, general of the Austrian army.
- 1758 - Noah Webster, American lexicographer.
- 1854 - Oscar Wilde, Irish writer.
- 1886 - David Ben-Gurion, first prime minister of Israel.
- 1888 - Eugene O'Neill, American dramatist.
- 1890 - Paul Strand, American photographer.
- 1927 - Günter Grass, German novelist.
- 1958 - Tim Robbins, American actor.
- 1793 - Marie Antoinette, Queen of France (executed).
- 1946 - Artur Seiss-Inquart, Austrian national-socialist leader, governor of The Netherlands during the German occupation (1940-1945).
- 1981 - Moshe Dayan, Israeli general.
- 1990 - Art Blakey, jazz drummer.