September 25 is the 268th day of the year (269th in leap years). There are 97 days remaining.
- 1866: Thomas Morgan (geneticist)
- 1897: William Faulkner (novelist)
- 1903: Mark Rothko (painter)
- 1906: Dmitri Shostakovich (composer)
- 1931: Barbara Walters (broadcaster)
- 1932: Glenn Gould (pianist, composer)
- 1944: Michael Douglas (actor)
- 1952: Christopher Reeve (actor)
- 1952: Mark Hamill (actor)
- 1961: Heather Locklear (actress, model)
- 1968: Will Smith (actor, rapper)
- 1969: Catherine Zeta-Jones (actress)
- 1970: Erich Maria Remarque (author)
- 1980: John Bonham (drummer for Led Zeppelin)
- 1984: Walter Pigeon (actor)
- 1690: "Publick Occurrences Both Foreign and Domestick," the first newspaper published in the Americas, was published for the first and only time on this day. It was considered offensive and its publisher, Benjamin Harris, was ordered not to publish any more.
- 1890: Sequoia National Park was established in California.
- 1981: Sandra Day O'Connor was the 102nd Justice sworn in for the United States Supreme Court, the first woman with the position.