September 6 is the 249th day of the year (250th in leap years). There are 106 days remaining.
- 1620 - The Pilgrims left on the Mayflower from Plymouth, England to settle in the New World.
- 1901 - US President William McKinley was shot and fatally wounded.
- 1939 - South Africa declared war on Germany.
- 1991 - Soviet Union recognizes independence of the Baltic states.
- 1991 - The name St. Petersburg was restored to Russia's second largest city, having previously been renamed as Leningrad in (1924).
- 1997 - The funeral service of Princess Diana is held at Westminster Abbey.
- 1966 - South African Prime Minister Hendrik Verwoerd stabbed to death during a parliamentary session.
- 1998 - Akira Kurosawa, Japanese film director
Holidays and observances: