September 7 is the 250th day of the year (251st in leap years). There are 115 days remaining.
- 1533: Elizabeth I (Queen of England from 1558 to 1603, and daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn)
- 1867: J. P. Morgan (financier)
- 1908: Dr. Michael DeBakey (heart surgeon)
- 1909: Elia Kazan (director)
- 1913: Sir Anthony Quayle (actor)
- 1929: Sonny Rollins (saxophonist)
- 1936: Buddy Holly (singer)
- 1949: Gloria Gaynor (singer)
- 1951: Chrissie Hynde (guitarist, singer)
- 1954: Benmont Tench (keyboardist)
- 3761 B.C.: Hebrew Calendar year 1
- 1812: Napoleon defeated the Russian army of Alexander I at the battle of Borodino.
- 1822: Brazil declares its independence from Portugal.
- 1977: The Panama Canal treaties are signed