- "The Name of the Rose" (Il nome della rosa -- A philosophical detective novel in a medieval setting)
- "Foucault's Pendulum" (Il pendolo di Foucault -- A present day conspiracy theory novel)
- "The Island of the Day Before" (L'isola del giorno prima -- A novel about a XVII century nobleman marooned across the international date line)
- "Baudolino" (Baudolino -- A novel about a young peasant adopted by emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, and his adventures)
- "Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language"
- "The Limits of Interpretation (Advances in Semiotics)"
- "The Role of the Reader : Explorations in the Semiotics of Texts"
- "Interpretation and Overinterpretation"
- "Kant and the Platypus : Essays on Language and Cognition"
- "Serendipities : Language and Lunacy"
- "The Search for the Perfect Language (The Making of Europe)"
- "Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages"
- "The Aesthetics of Thomas Aquinas"
- "Belief or Nonbelief? : A Dialogue"
Books of his essays
- "Travels in Hyperreality : Essays"
- "How to Travel With a Salmon & Other Essays"
[bond'olog]: ("log" is greek for "logos" = knowledge) ; scandinavian expression for an expert in the field of James Bond
Further, Umberto Eco is an expert on the subject of 007, which adds him to the worldwide group of "bondologs".
James Bond related writings:
Il Caso Bond (aka The Bond Affair ) 1966 by Del Buono and Umberto Eco A collection of essays edited by Umberto Eco.
Umberto Eco: "The Narrative Structure in Fleming" in his The Bond Affair (1966) reprinted in Bernard Waitesr, Tony Bennett and Graham Martin ed. Popular Culture: Past and Present (London: Croom Helm, 1982).